Friday 31 August 2012

Rubbing shouders ?

When I gave a racer who had broken down in the Supertwins race at Douglas Rd Corner a backroads lift back to the paddock on Ethel I didn't know who he was. Turns out it was 2012 Junior Manx GP winner Wayne Kirwan ! Today he led the Senior Manx GP by 90 seconds until he wisely slowed up in the drizzle and had to settle for 3rd. As so often there is a twist to the tale. The canny Deputy Sector Marshal looking for a bike taxi volunteer had information neither my passenger nor I knew at that moment. Also he particularly wanted bike not car transport. The tragic answer to the riddle is that Trevor Ferguson, well known to my passenger, had sadly lost his life in the same race but this was not yet public news. As Kirwan planned to go out in the practice lap immediately after the race finished it was to be avoided that the terrible news be broken just before going back out on to the course thus a course car was not a good idea. So in the end my stumbling about through unknown back lanes to the paddock just as bikes were going back out was probably a good thing as he was the very last rider out and doubtful if there was any time to do anything but jump on the bike. Amazing that the only passenger Ethel has ever carried with me as rider is a Manx GP winner.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment