Tuesday 3 September 2013

Here is Siegfried the Simson having an adventure with his previous owner

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/simson425sport.html

How amazing to stumble across this article about my bike ! Best bit is finding out just what was replaced in the clutch. Riding the Simson takes a little getting used to. As the owners manual says it is built to rev but it is not natural to treat an old bike like that. However you have to take off with loads of revs and then it pulls once you are under way. I did wonder if the clutch is still slipping so I tried 2 things. First I cruelly let the engine slog up a steep hill in top gear - result bike almost ground to a halt but no sign of lots of revs with no go. So that seems ok. Next on a flat road I gave it maximum revs and let the clutch out quickly - wow - he bunny hopped up the road with the front wheel skipping off the Tarmac. Conclusion - clutch ok, just use lots of revs. Also tonight realised I had been trying to adjust the tick over using the wrong screw. Reckon that the only other one which adjusts the height to which the needle drops down to is the right one so will put the Leerlauf back 1 3/4 turns to where it was and then raise the slide stop to speed up tick over. Before that I need to check plug colour after weakening the mixture by raising it from 4th to the correct 3rd notch. Here's hoping for a nice digestive biscuit colour.
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment