Sunday 12 July 2009

Leap of faith

Coming back from Sussex on Friday the M25 produced solid traffic the moment we arrived on it from the M23 planning to follow it around to the M1. As a novice at threading through traffic on a big bike with panniers I cautiously trickled through in 1st gear then noticed a gaggle of bikes built up behind me.Pulling over I let them through to see how it's done. The London bikers just plunge through the gaps around 20 - 30 mph and did not get caught up in slow manouevres or clutch slipping so when a fully kitted Beemer zapped clean through I decided to say damn the torpedoes and give it a go. What a revelation. The cars mostly see you coming better at speed and mostly pull aside. The bike is much easier to ride - I kept it in 2nd at 30mph - and found that with lucky timing you would arrive just before a car restarted and could more easily weave the bike around to get through. All of a sudden it became fun as we ploughed on relentlessly until the M40 came up and we took the Silverstone route home. Thanks for the lesson London bikers - one more skill learned.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment