Saturday 19 October 2013

Rich running - the guilty party at last

With a complete new exhaust system on order I found a C spanner and took the exhaust pipe off from the cylinder head. Peering inside the port with a torch I could immediately see oil running down the exhaust valve stem. Taking the rocker cover off revealed about 2mm oil swimming around the base of the hairpin valve springs. With the spark plug out and turning the motor over with the kick start produced more oil on the stem. Talk about trust your instincts. My first thought on the rich running issue was worn valves / guides and it looks like it is. A strange twist is that the seller included a pair of engineering grade rods and a note that these could be machined into new push rods. I wondered why ? The thought now crosses my mind that the only place that oil can enter the rocker box is via the push rod tunnel - are the rods the wrong diameter or worn thus letting too much oil through? Either way the head is going to have to come off now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment