Tuesday 30 August 2011

Marshalling at the Manx Monday 29th Aug 11

Turned up early at Douglas Road corner Kirkmichael to find no one there. Standing there in my very new Marshal's hi vis top a German rider pulled up to ask what time the roads would close. I efficiently responded in German to give him the wrong time - oops - 30 mins too soon.
The very chummy Marshals arrived and I was assigned to Mit from Nordern Eyerlund. Up the road we went to stand in the drive of a bungalow - the door opened and a friendly voice immediately asked " Is it tay or caafee ? " Yup a houseful of Mit soundalikes.
And so to work. We were the flag station for the downhill swoop into the right hander into flat out Kirkmichael village and also had the track radio. My job was to man the blackboard ! As a mainly classic bike meeting breakdowns and oil leaks are common. So when notified a smoking bike is coming Mit holds out the black and orange STOP sign and I chalk the machine's number on the board and hold it out. Not needed all day then right at the end of practice following racing a smoky bike appeared and by us all by itself !
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment